Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

3.05.2014

"Demons" Imagine Dragons Cover by Christina Grimmie


Christina Grimmie's album cover for With Love

Hey there, JUKEBOXERS!! It's Jewel with a review on a new cover by Christina Grimmie. I decided to review her cover of "Demons" by Imagine Dragons because 1) I mentioned her in my post last week, 2) I love Christina Grimmie, and 3) I want her to win The Voice.

Cover artist, Christina Grimmie, has over two million subscribers on YouTube. According to Wikipedia, she's been singing since she was five and had piano lessons when she was ten. However, she mostly plays by ear (I only wish I could). In June of 2011, her debut EP Find Me was released, followed by her full studio album, With Love, in August of last year. She auditioned for season six of The Voice, singing, Miley Cyrus' song, "Wrecking Ball", and got all four judges (Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Shakira, and Usher) to turn their chairs. I won't tell you which judge she chose (just in case some of you haven't been watching).

Before I begin, I must say that I chose this cover for yet another reason: this is not one of her best covers, but I will put one that I think deserves a five down below. First of all, I believe the key of the song is too low for her voice. She barely hits the notes, and to a semi-trained ear like mine, I can tell it was out of her reach. She does redeem herself after the verses. What made this cover great is that she makes the song her own. And that's what I love about Christina Grimmie; she does not only sing the song, she changes it and sings it in her own style, she literally owns the song. She sings with emotion and power that the original artist sometimes lacks. And she has a talent for those high notes that no one can reach, which plays into her advantage when she improvises the melody in the chorus and bridge of the song.

I'm giving this particular cover three and a half records because although she came off to a rough start, she reclaimed this cover through her well-developed sense of improvisation and recreation of melodies. Please feel free to leave feedback on any of our posts. If you like it, share it!

Here's Christina Grimmie's cover of "Demons" by Imagine Dragons



And here's a cover I believe deserves five records.




Rating: 3.5 RECORDS



Photo and Information: Wikipedia-Christina Grimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment