Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

3.18.2014

"Iron" by Woodkid

Woodkid (Yoann Lemoine)

Hey, guys! Lindsey here! It's Tuesday, and so I shall commence with my song review.

Today I'll be reviewing the song "Iron" by Woodkid (a.k.a. Yoann Lemoine). I was introduced to this song last year when my friend stumbled upon the trailer for Assassin's Creed Revelations. She shared it and said:


While the graphics for the trailer were indeed amazing and incredibly life-like, it was the song that really made it something special. The song feels like it belongs in the times of the Crusades or accompanying a scene bloodied warrior in full swing of battle. While that's not exactly the most relatable scenario (at no point in my almost 19 years have I ever been a warrior), the song make me want to grab a broadsword and hit things with it in synchronization to the song. Also, it kind of makes me want to learn how to play the flute. But, alas, here's some information about Woodkid.

Born in Lyon, France, Yoann Lemoine isn't only a talented singer-songwriter; he's also a graphic designer and music video director. He directed two videos for my favorite singer Lana Del Rey ("Born to Die" and "Blue Jeans") as well as music videos for Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc. His primary occupation is as a director for music videos, and he has been nominated for 6 MTV Music Video awards and won Best Director of the Year at the MVPA Awards in Los Angeles. He only became a musician when someone he was directing a music video for handed him a banjo. He released the Iron EP in March of 2011 and became popular when his song showed up in the Assassin's Creed trailer in July. While many of his fans came from video game enthusiasts, his popularity has started to grow among other groups as well. Lemoine, however, isn't your average singer/songwriter. He focuses more on creating beauty in his art than catering to his fans' need for entertainment (which is actually pretty cool of him). He prefers that people savor his music and really think about what they're listening too.

Below I will post the epic trailer that introduced me to this artist as well as the official music video for the song. Both are pretty fantastic! Also, lyrics, as usual. They're rather beautiful and fit the whole "sword-wielding warrior" thing perfectly. (Also, sometimes he's a little too French-accented to understand at first listen.)

Assassin's Creed Revelations trailer:



Official music video: 




Lyrics: 
Deep in the ocean, dead and cast away
Where innocence is burned in flames
A million miles from home, I'm walking ahead
I'm frozen to the bones, I am

A soldier on my own, I don't know the way
I'm riding up the heights of shame
I'm waiting for the call, the hand on the chest
I'm ready for the fight and fate

The sound of iron shots is stuck in my head
The thunder of the drums dictates
The rhythm of the falls, the number of death
The rising of the horns, ahead

From the dawn of time to the end of days
I will have to run, away
I want to feel the pain and the bitter taste
Of the blood on my lips, again

This steady burst of snow is burning my hands
I'm frozen to the bones, I am
A million miles from home, I'm walking away
I can't remind your eyes, your face

Rating: 4 RECORDS



Photo: Trendland.com
Information: Wikipedia - Woodkid , Trendland.com

5 comments:

  1. I enjoy your explanation on how you discovered the song, and I agree that the music fits the trailer. Excellent bio on Woodkid btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Tina play this the day we went to Avila Valley Barn during the beach trip in January?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She played a song for us and I don't remember who the artist was. I'll have to ask.

      Delete