Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

7.31.2014

"Back To The Shack" by Weezer

Look at how cute and nerdy they look! Weezer: Drummer Patrick Wilson, Lead Guitarist/Lead Vocalist Rivers Cuomo, Bassist/Backup Vocalist Scott Shriner, Rhythm Guitarist/Backup Vocalist/Keyboardist Brian Bell
Hey guys, it's Lia with a new song brought to you by legendary band, Weezer.

I've been a casual listener of Weezer for some time now, to the point where I listen to them for the nostalgia and comfort they bring me. I love their singles--"The Sweater Song," "Buddy Holly," and "Hash Pipe" to name a few. There's also their two most popular songs, "Beverly Hills" and "Island In The Sun," that brings back so many memories, mostly of me rocking out in the passenger seat of my mom's Sienna while she looks at me funny. That's why I'm so excited for this new album they're going to release called, Everything Will Be Alright In The End, which is out September 30. You can pre-order the album here.

If you're not familiar with Weezer, they're an alternative rock band that formed in the early '90s right here in Los Angeles. They have released 8 albums in their lengthy career. When most of the masses think of Weezer, they'll probably recall songs from the first two self-titled albums. Their first album, famously known as The Blue Album, is their best-selling album to date. Featuring both "Buddy Holly" and "The Sweater Song," it doesn't surprise me that it's a favorite for a lot of people. Their second self-titled album, known as The Green Album, feature songs that everyone is familiar with, "Island In The Sun" and "Hash Pipe." Personally, I thought their first two albums (The Blue Album and Pinkerton)  were the best, although I could make a case for Raditude also. I just think that Raditude and The Blue Album were fun and Pinkerton was deep and complicated.

"Back To The Shack" sounds like a message from Weezer to their fans to roll out the red (or blue or green) carpet because Weezer is back! They are back (to the shack) with their signature hooks and riveting guitar riffs that tantalize the ear and wake that inner rebel inside of all of us. Somehow, this song transports me back to when I was just a snot-nosed nerdy kid beginning to hear the call of alternative rock music. Weezer's anthem to days past isn't just catchy and full of '90s rock goodness, it's honest as well. Rivers Cuomo, the lead singer, calls for his listeners to go back to the the good old days by alluding to songs and imagery from past albums. In the chorus, he says "take me back, back to the shack/ back to the strat with the lightning strap" which alludes to the guitar he used to play in his shows, a Stratocaster with a lighting strap on it. He also alludes to old songs of the band's when he sings "I finally settled down with my girl and I made up with my dad." The "settled down with my girl" part could refer to several songs, like "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To." It also refers to how he married his wife and settled things with her. The "I made up with my dad" part refers to (really one of my favorite songs of all time) "Say It Ain't So" where he sings about his family life and relationship with his father.

I like this song and really have no criticisms because it's Weezer and how could I criticize one of the best living rock bands of my generation? In between excellent hooks, guitar riffs, percussion, and lyrics, how could I dare to say anything in the face of this song? As Rivers Cuomo sings in "Back To The Shack", Weezer "belongs in the rock world." So let's "turn off those stupid singing shows" and "turn up the radio." Let's go back to the shack, to The Blue Album, to May 1994. Come on, I dare you.


Also, here's an interview they did with KROQ. Watch it because Kevin and Bean are awesome!


Rating: 4 Records
Photo: dlcentral.com
Information: Wikipediaazlyrics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment