Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

7.30.2014

"Gravity" Original Song by Jason Chen

Jason Chen's Gravity LP artwork


Welcome back, JUKEBOXERS!! It's Jewel with week three of my Original Song Series!! This week, I've got an original song by Jason Chen. Once again, you can click here to read a short bio of Jason Chen in my review of his cover collab with Megan Nicole of "La la la" by Naughty Boy.

If you listened to the song before you read my review, you know what I'm going to say about this song. Once again, I feel it's over-produced, and to help you hear what I mean, I'll add his acoustic version down below. In my opinion, songs like this sound more heartfelt when they aren't filled with effects and synth sounds. Of course, others love the effects and synthesizers, which is why I always state that what I write on this blog is solely my opinion. Besides the previously mentioned "overproduction", I enjoyed the melody and I'm glad he didn't completely synthesize the song.

Now on to the vocals...

Jason Chen has an extremely high voice for a male singer. I can tell he's singing head tone/voice (which is weaker than chest voice/tone), but he's able to pull it off, even in his acoustic version. I'd actually prefer if he sang stronger by singing a little lower, but that's just how I feel. I love hearing powerful voices and while the effects make his voice seem that way, he wouldn't need the effects if he sang just a little bit lower.

As for the lyrics, they meet two out of three of my expectations that I listed in my post from last week. Sadly, they didn't gain any bonus points from either telling a complete story or having a deeper meaning. Like so many songs out there, this song was a song about falling for someone, and I guess I could say "literally" since the song's name is "Gravity". As for why it only met two of my expectations, in my humble opinion, the line "caught up in your gravity" was simply sung way too much. If you like the lyrics like that, good for you, I wish I weren't so picky. I also thought the rhymes were just too easy, I mean, he rhymed "rhyme" with "time". Unfortunately, I'm going to have to give the lyrics a two.

The music video, which I'll be placing down below (as well his acoustic version of "Gravity") is really creative and so very cute. I really don't like criticizing songs because I know so much work went into writing, producing, and performing just one song, but this song and I just didn't "click". Jason Chen is a very talented artist, and because I'm giving this song such a low rating, here are a few of my favorite Jason Chen originals (click on the title to watch/listen on YouTube): "Still in Love", "Hide and Seek" (with Amy & Ellen), "Best Friend", and "AutoTune".

Here's the official music video:


And for those of you who prefer acoustic (like me):


Here are the lyrics as posted in the description of the official music video:


[verse 1]
I'm so lost, in love 

with no rhythm or rhyme
I'm starstruck, I'm so stuck
with no sense of time



I fall apart, when you're gone
I think that I need your love
Just pull me right back to start
I dont know what this could be, so lost in your mystery



[Hook]


Caught up in your Gravity
Dont know how you got such a hold on me
Caught in your Gravity
You know I never want you to set me free
Caught up in your Gravity 



[verse 2]
It's just you, you're all I need
to keep my heart tied
When you're here, I wouldn't fly away
Oh no, I wont even try



We fall apart, when you're gone 
I think that I need your love
Just pull me right back to start
I dont know what this could be, so lost in your mystery



[bridge]
There's no way to stop this attraction
cause baby you're my satisfaction
If you disappeared, it's like the world would fall
I would lose control so never let me go x2
Not even the flight through the galaxy
could ever keep me away from you


Rating: 2 RECORDS




No comments:

Post a Comment