Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

7.18.2014

“Still I Fly” by Spencer Lee

Promotional Poster for Dusty Crophopper from Planes: Fire & Rescue
Hi everybody!  It’s Kimberly here for my twenty-second post for the genre “Children’s Music.”

Disney’s Planes came out last year with the tagline, “From the world above Cars.”  Planes centers on the story of Dusty Crophopper who wants to be more than just a simple crop duster.  Just in case you ever get interested in watching Planes, as usual I’ll warn you of any spoilers in my review.  Today, the sequel to Planes came out, Planes: Fire & Rescue, which again focuses on Dusty.  Ergo, for today’s post I will be reviewing “Still I Fly” by Spencer Lee, which you may have heard in a trailer for Planes: Fire & Rescue.

Spencer Lee is a “Newcomer singer/songwriter,” so as far as researching him to describe his music style I wasn’t able to find out much about him.  Check out the following link for his biography according to Reverb Nation (http://www.reverbnation.com/artist_1262340/bio)Personally, I would say that Spencer Lee sounds generic, but his masculine voice is suitable for love songs.  If you happen to watch Disney Channel Original movies, he provided one of the voices for songs in Teen Beach Movie.  Please check out the video at the end of the post to get an idea of Spencer Lee’s sound.


*SPOILER ALERT*


In Planes, Dusty Crophopper is able to realize his dream of leaving his life as a crop duster and becoming a racer.  He expands his horizons even further by joining the Navy.  In Planes: Fire & Rescue, Dusty is forced to pursue a new dream when he finds out that “his engine is damaged and may never race again.”  The new dream that Dusty decides to pursue is becoming a fire and rescue plane.  “Still I Fly” expresses Dusty’s struggle to follow a new dream.  The lyrics in the chorus are simple but they summarize Dusty’s struggle perfectly, “Never letting go/gotta learn to grow/Watch me as I touch the sky/Still I Fly.” The melody to “Still I Fly” is the kind of song that makes the listener go, “Hey, I’ve heard that song before!” because the chord progression is so familiar and overused.  I’m giving “Still I Fly” 3 ½ records because even though the melody is unmemorable the lyrics are inspirational.

The message behind “Still I Fly” is that it’s okay for people to find new dreams because if people give their all they might find success in places they did not expect.  On that note, thank you for checking out my review for this week and I hope you enjoyed it!  J

Here is the audio for “Still I Fly.”


Below is a music video for Spencer Lee’s song “Tremble” so you can get an idea of his sound.


Rating: 3 1/2 RECORDS







Information:  IMDB, Lyrics Boy, Disney, AllMusic
Photo: Wikia

No comments:

Post a Comment