Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

10.15.2014

"Break Free" Ariana Grande Piano Ballad by Sam Tsui

Awesome picture of Sam Tsui performing live!!

Hey, JUKEBOXERS!! It's Jewel starting off the last round of reviews for the JUKEBOX girls. As you know, my favorite cover artist is none other than Sam Tsui. So for my last review, I thought I'd finish the cycle with another Sam Tsui cover!!

Since I've posted a few reviews on works by Sam Tsui, I'll just provide a list with links to all of those if you'd like to read more about him.

First of all, let me say I appreciate how much effort Sam puts into recreating the song into a style that suits him. However, part of me wishes he just sang it at the same tempo as the original. With that said, I'd like to say why this cover is truly great. Once again, I'd like to mention how awesome it is that he put is own spin to it instead of just making a cover like all the other covers of this song. Recreating a song like this is actually very difficult in my opinion, especially since I struggle to even play songs for which I have the notes and chords. This cover encompasses all the emotion and depth of the lyrics that the original doesn't. While the original makes the listener want to get up and dance or simply move to the beat, this cover actually expresses all the feelings connected to the lyrics. Of course, I see why the original was sung in its style and I also see how one could say the original was perfect since a song about "breaking free" is a cause for celebration.

On to the actual music!! So I really enjoy hearing songs like "Break Free" in nature (EDM) reformed into tradition, raw-sounding creations. It really attests to the artist's talent. Sam's piano playing is beautiful, but the best part of this cover is his vocals!! As a singer, I have a major appreciation of artists with great vocal ranges as well as the ability to sing the correct notes without using auto-tune. If you've heard the original, or have listened to any of Ariana Grande's other songs, you'll know she tends to sing in the high range. I think Sam's slow-downs actually highlight his voice because if he simply sang it in the original tempo, we wouldn't have enjoyed his voice and how he sings each note (especially at the climax of the song). It just makes me melt when he hits that highest note.

Anyway, his cover is amazing and I hope you like it too!!

Here's the cover:


And as a little treat, here's one of his more recent collabs with Kurt Hugo Schneider and Max Schneider... "Bang Bang" originally performed by Jessie J, Ariana Grande, and Nicki Minaj:


Rating: 4.5 RECORDS







Photo: Instagram @TheSamTsui

No comments:

Post a Comment