Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

2.26.2014

"Let it Go/Let Her Go" Frozen/Passenger Mash-Up by Sam Tsui

Youtube Artist: Sam Tsui

Hello, everyone!! It's Jewel and for my first post I thought I'd review a mash-up by one of my favorite YouTube cover artists.

Sam Tsui started out by making covers with his friend, Kurt Hugo Schneider. Sam and Kurt met at Wissahickon High School and continued on at Yale University. Together, they produce covers, medleys, mash-ups and original work. In 2011, Sam created his own YouTube channel (he and Kurt were sharing Kurt's channel). His most viewed cover is a collaboration with Christina Grimmie on Kurt's channel. You can find that video below. Sam released his first original album Make It Up in the summer of 2013. This album features Kina Grannis, another YouTube artist, in "Bring Me The Night"(my personal favorite from the album).

I would have chosen an original song of his to review, but since there's an ongoing fad for Frozen, I thought I would write about one of his most recent mash-ups. As you know, these two songs are from completely different genres, so I was completely astounded when I saw he had made them into a mash-up. I really did not know what to expect. In my opinion, he did an absolutely phenomenal job with this! I love the way he makes the two songs sound like one. If I hadn't known he was singing two different songs, I would've thought this was an original. He makes the songs fit together cohesively while keeping the original melodies.

All in all, I found this mash-up to be completely genius, and judging by the number of views it has received, I would say so does the YouTube community. Come back tomorrow for a review from our friend, Lia!

Here's the mash-up! I hope you like it as much as I did.


Also, here's his cover collab with Christina Grimmie of "Just a Dream" by Nelly:



Rating: 5 RECORDS








Information: Wikipedia-Sam Tsui
Photo: The Wrap

No comments:

Post a Comment