Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

5.15.2014

"Wait For Me" by Kings of Leon

Kings of Leon: Bass Guitarist Jared Followill, Guitarist/Lead Vocalist Caleb Followill, Guitarist Matthew Followill, Drummer Nathan Followill 
Hey guys, Lia here with a band that's near and dear to my heart.

Kings of Leon brings back so many memories for me. I remember countless lazy summer hours sitting around on the couch with the curtains closed and listening to this band. I was obsessed with them in high school, to the point that I named my dog after Caleb Followill (it's his middle name because he was a shelter dog and they already named him before I got him). I also remember buying this ratty little white t-shirt with the band's name on it and wearing it around all the time until I had to get rid of it because it was so worn out! Needless to say, I love this band!

I began listening to them when "Use Somebody" was being played everywhere and then made the decision to listen to the rest of Only by the Night. It was the best decision I made that year because their songs are so much more than what "Use Somebody" would have you expect. Caleb's voice is so raw and emotional and I connected with it so much at that point in my life. Their old albums are gold, but so are their newer ones. They seem so settled into their sound, still evoking their southern garage rock beginnings but mixed in with soul, gospel, and a modern spin to rock that I really enjoy.

"Wait for Me" is such a beautiful song and somehow walks the line between hopeful and slightly somber. These Followill boys keep making perfect guitar riffs that are always timeless, accompanied by such a clear and simple vision. You can hear the control and mastery they have over their music because each measure is a love story to the ears. And it's not just in this song. They really found their stride during Only by the Night, which is in part because the band decided to get their lives together and kick the drugs and drinking. It's that journey that Caleb is singing about in this song. "Wait for Me" is basically a song about reassurance, that the band, mostly Caleb, is ready to fix the problem instead of hiding behind substance abuse. It's a call to family, friends, and fans that everything is better now (after rehab) and to wait for him because he's ready to get back on track. Between their first album and Mechanical Bull (the album that this song is in), you can see the shift. They've grown up, started families, become responsible adults. Their music also reflect this change as we see pieces of their past meld with their present and future in this song and other songs from this album, like "Supersoaker" and "Beautiful War." They make such beautiful music now and I'm so glad to have grown up with them. Because their first three albums fit me in my angry teen years, when I was so dark and bitter, but their albums after Because of the Times are so heartfelt, complicated, and, just, pure soul and emotion--just at the time when I decided to change my way of thinking.

My love affair with this band won't end any time soon. I can't wait to hear what's next, but until then, I'll get by listening to Mechanical Bull and "Wait for Me," as I hope all those reading will also. Enjoy!


Love this live version. 


Rating: 5 RECORDS
Information: Wikipediarock.rapgenius.com

No comments:

Post a Comment