Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

2.27.2014

“Do I Wanna Know?” by Arctic Monkeys


Arctic Monkeys (from left to right): Guitarist Jamie Cook, Vocalist/Guitarist/Songwriter Alex Turner, Bassist Nick O/Malley, and Drummer Matt Helders

Hey, guys! Lia here for my first Thursday post!

Arctic Monkeys began rehearsing together in 2002 and were one of the first bands to release demo songs on the internet for free, building a substantial fan base even before signing a record deal. Fast forward a few years and several Brit awards later, English band Arctic Monkeys are finally getting a foothold in the U.S. with their new album, AM. Their style of rock changes with each album but AM sounds like, in my opinion, a mellower version of the Black Keys mixed in with a bit of blues, soul, hip-hop produced beats and Alex Turner’s crooning, heavily accented velvet voice (a combination I love!). Some influences the band have mentioned include: The Strokes, Oasis, and The Libertines.

“Do I Wanna Know?” has been a huge Alternative chart topper this year and marks the band’s first known hit in the U.S., even though they’ve been huge in the U.K. since the beginning. I love the lyrics in this song because it’s so relatable. Everyone’s been in his spot, infatuated with a person and wanting to know if the feeling’s mutual. The beat makes it even better, driving the song to the end by intertwining with that (dare I say it?) seductive guitar riff. There’s something so desperate in the way Turner sings in this song that just leaves me wanting to keep listening to the entire album over and over again. Although not the best song of the album (Arabella, No. 1 Party Anthem, and Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High? fight for dominance in my head), it’s definitely one to check out to get an understanding of what this album’s all about and one to listen to on a lonely night out.  

Seriously, check this song out below and I guarantee you’ll at least fall a bit in love with Alex Turner’s voice if not for the band itself.

Live version: watch for the music, stay for Alex Turner’s hip swivel thing.



Rating: 4 RECORDS




Photo: Last.fm
Information: Wikipedia - Arctic Monkeys

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lia! I dig it. Great Job! I am so in love with that hip swivel thing!

    ReplyDelete