Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

4.15.2014

#Selfie The Chainsmokers Piano Ballad Cover by Sam Tsui

Sam's #Selfie, promoting his cover

Bonjour!! C'est moi, bijou. For those of you who don't speak French, "bijou" means "jewel". Anyway, this week I'm reviewing another cover by Sam Tsui. Some may disagree with the term "cover" because, well, you'll see if you scroll down and watch the video.

I didn't want to write another review on a Sam Tsui cover because I already wrote about one of his mashups, but I just couldn't help myself when I listened to this cover! And did I mention, he's probably my favorite YouTube artist? Since my first review was on his "Let It Go/Let Her Go" Mashup, I'll just refer you over to that post for a little biography of Sam Tsui. Click here to read more about Sam Tsui.

Wow. Where do I begin? This cover is something else. After listening to it for the first time I just had to sit there for a minute and take it all in. In fact, I'm just totally speechless. All I can say is, "What talent!" To be able to turn that song (which I really can't stand) into a "serious" ballad must have been a very difficult task. In fact, in his description of the song, he says, "By popular demand, I did my best to turn this absurd song into a  lovely piano ballad. It was quite a challenge, but also a ton of fun - hope you enjoy, and if you did, make sure to like, comment, and share :-D Another (slightly more serious) cover coming this weekend!!" (a little thank you to copy-paste) haha. In my opinion, "absurd" is doing this song a favor, and Sam calling his cover "lovely" is a complete understatement. I was a little hesitant to click on this, but after hearing the original, I wanted to see what he could do to make this song better. His cover exceeded my expectations. I can't even imagine how hard it was to take the original, create a melody for the "lyrics" (if you can even call it that), and come up with the piano accompaniment. As an entertainer, Sam has truly stepped up his game! This cover is not only entertaining, it shows true talent. 

Okay, I'm sure you're sick of reading about the cover, so here it is!


This is for those who haven't heard the original.


Rating: 5 RECORDS (I'd give it 10 if I could)



No comments:

Post a Comment