Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

8.08.2014

“I’ve Got a Dream” from Tangled

Rapunzel singing about her dream to see the glowing lanterns gleam
 Hi everybody!  It’s Kimberly here for my twenty-fifth post for the genre “Children’s Music.”

A few weeks ago during Comic Con the Nerd Machine hosted its annual Conversations for a Cause at Nerd HQ in support of Operation Smile.  The first Conversation of a Cause featured the main driving force behind the Nerd Machine, Zachary Levi.  One of the questions that an audience member asked him was to sing a song from Tangled and he obliged by singing a little bit of the song I am reviewing today.  I enjoy the songs from Tangled, so I’m pretty sure this won’t be my last review of a song from this movie.  However, taking Nerd HQ as my inspiration for today I give you my review of “I’ve Got a Dream” from Disney’s 2010 movie Tangled.

Tangled is yet another Disney movie graced with the musical genius of Alan Menken.  Since I’ve already talked about Alan Menken in a past review, I’m going to take the time to talk a little bit about Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi, who are the voices of Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder respectively.   I think that most people would know Mandy Moore for her portrayal of Jamie Sullivan in A Walk to Remember.  Her soft, angelic voice is perfect for roles like Jamie Sullivan and Rapunzel who are sweet and good-natured.  Zachary Levi is most known for his portrayal of the title character in Chuck, but he has proved that he has good chops by performing on Broadway in First Date and by doing a duet with Katharine McPhee. 

Everyone has dreams and “I’ve Got a Dream” shows that this is true even for outcasts and misfits.  Just as a refresher for those who haven’t seen Tangled in a while, in order to get Rapunzel to give him the tiara without having to take her to see the lanterns, Flynn Ryder takes her to a bar called “The Ugly Duckling” to try to scare her from facing the real world (Fun fact: The Ugly Duckling is based on The Prancing Pony from The Lord of the Rings.)  The Ugly Duckling is filled with scary outlaws, but the viewer finds out that they’re seriously misunderstood as they sing about their dreams.  One person reveals that they he wants to be a concert pianist and another reveals that he has a collection of ceramic unicorns.  The upbeat nature of “I’ve Got a Dream” makes it a wonderful song to sing along to during a long car ride.   There is also an abundance of lyrics that flow nicely and cleverly reveal many dreams of the people in The Ugly Duckling.  I’m giving “I’ve Got a Dream” 4 ½ records because it’s fun and upbeat, but may be in the territory of generic bar songs like “99 bottles of beer on the wall.”

In the words of Tom Hiddleston, who also did a Conversation for a Cause at the 2013 Nerd HQ, “I think everyone should pursue their dreams.   Whether or not you want to play football, act, sing, become a writer or whatever you have burning inside you as you’re growing up, you should pursue it.”  As always, thank you for your support and I hope you enjoyed my review of “I’ve Got a Dream.”  J

Below is a sing-along video of “I’ve Got a Dream” 


Here is the music video of “Terrified”, the duet with Katharine McPhee and Zachary Levi.


Rating: 4 ½ RECORDS








Information:  IMDB, AZLyrics, Metro
Photo: Fanpop

No comments:

Post a Comment