Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

9.05.2014

"My Sweet Summer" by The Dirty Heads

Dirty Heads: (not in order) Vocalist Jared "Dirty J" Watson, Vocalist/Guitarist Dustin "Duddy B" Bushnell, Drummer Matt Ochoa, Bassist David Foral 
Hey guys, Lia here with a song to celebrate the end of Summer.

Dirty Heads originated in nearby Huntington Beach, CA when Jared "Dirty J" Watson and Dustin "Duddy B" Bushnell met at a party their freshman year of high school. Bushnell at the time was in a punk rock band, while Watson had no experience with music. However, he really liked Bushnell's rap demo tapes and the rest, as they say, was history. Slowly, but surely, more people joined the rag-tag garage group: Jon Olazabal, Matt Ochoa, and David Foral. They began recording and signed on with Warner Bros., but left due to creative differences. They have so far released four albums, one with Executive Music Group and the rest with Five Seven Music.

If you have never heard of The Dirty Heads then I'm sure you've heard of Sublime. Their sound is very similar because of that reggae, ska, hip-hop sound. If, at this point, you're wondering why I'm writing about them, then you should know alternative covers that mix of genres and besides, their songs have gotten a lot of airplay from the alternative radio stations in Los Angeles.

Only California could have borne such a group as The Dirty Heads and Sublime. They really capture that edge and cool that is part of Californian culture. "My Sweet Summer" definitely plays to that appeal. If you keep up with our playlist, you might have noticed I put this song in our "Goodbye, Summer" playlist. Because it's literally the perfect song to end summer with.

"My Sweet Summer" tells the story of a summer fling, of a woman who cheats on someone with the protagonist. It's all very light-hearted and there's two rap verses that tells the story in his point of view that are strangely clear and full of imagery. My main problem with top 40 rap is that I can't understand their point of view or I don't agree with what they're saying so I just either endure or change the radio station. That's not the case with this style of rap. Also, if you have heard Sublime songs--which I'm sure you have--they always have that reference to recreational drugs. This is definitely the case with The Dirty Heads. One of the drug references is, oddly enough, one of my favorite lyrics in this song. "Duddy B" raps: "And on my dresser was a paper and her number, I filled it up with grass and I burned it, for summer." I just think the lyric itself is so playful and takes a very laid back position on the fact that this girl just left the morning after.

The song itself is what can be expected from a mixing of genres. There's the reggae and ska feel in how they sometimes play guitar and keyboard chords in the offbeats. There's the modern alternative rock and punk influence in the overall sound with how they treat percussion and guitar. The song is really well produced and enjoyable to listen to, which achieves what The Dirty Heads are all about: that laid back and eclectic music style.

This song is good to casually listen to and it's always a pleasant surprise when I hear it on the radio so you should check it out below!


Rating: 3 Records
Photo: 100xr.com
Information: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment