Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

9.26.2014

“(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care” from The Boxtrolls trailer

The Boxtrolls happy as ever
Hi everybody!  It’s Kimberly here for my thirty-second post for the genre “Children’s Music.”

Like I’ve mentioned before, it seems like movies nowadays are sequels, remakes, or movies based on books.  The advantage that this brings to moviemakers is that a high profit margin is almost guaranteed because there is so much hype surrounding the movie even before it’s released in theaters.  Movies that don’t have the edge of having previous movies or well-known books to increase its popularity have to rely on trailers (Fun fact: Trailers got their name because they were originally shown after movies.)  Although, The Boxtrolls is based on a book called “Here Be Monsters” by Alan Snow, I think what will draw audiences to the box office this weekend will be the many trailers that were released in the past months.  Today, I will be reviewing “(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care” from The Boxtrolls trailer.

If you’re a big fan of Elvis Presley, you probably already recognized the song that I’m reviewing as one of his songs that was featured on his Jailhouse Rock EP.  “(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care” was written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller in 1957.  Leiber and Stoller are the writing geniuses behind many of Elvis Presley’s hits such as “Hound Dog” and “Jailhouse Rock.”  Many artists have recorded different versions of “(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care,” but the version used in one of the trailers for The Boxtrolls was by Cee Lo Green.  Most people would know Cee Lo because of his song “Forget You” (Yes, that’s the version I’m mentioning because this is the “Children’s Music” genre after all ;).)

As usual, there will be no spoilers in this review (I haven’t even watched it yet so major spoilers will be pretty impossible).  All you need to know for this review is that The Boxtrolls is about trolls who live in boxes (Fairly obvious, but I wanted to state it, so that I can fully convey the cleverness of using “(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care” in the trailer).  “(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care” is actually a song about a guy saying that even though his girl is “square” or “a stick in the mud,” he loves her anyway.  For instance, the guy tells the girl, “You don’t like crazy music.  You don’t like rockin’ bands.  You just wanna go to a movie show, And sit there holdin’ hands.  You’re so square.  Baby, I don’t care.”  I like how The Boxtrolls takes the literal meaning of the word “square” for its trailer.  Cee Lo’s version is faster than the original version, which is perfect to accompany the high pace action of The Boxtrolls.  I’m giving Cee Lo’s version of “(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care” 3 1/2 records because it’s a fun, folksy take on an Elvis classic but it’s probably not a song that will stick in small children’s minds.

Thank you for reading my review of “(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care” and please come back tomorrow for our playlist!  J

Below is the trailer of The Boxtrolls that features “(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care.”


Here is Elvis himself singing “(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care,” so you can compare the two versions.

Rating: 3 ½ RECORDS







Information:  IMDB, Wikipedia, AZLyrics

No comments:

Post a Comment