Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

4.23.2014

"All of Me" John Legend Cover by Dave Days ft. Phil J

Left: Dave Days
Right: Phil J

Welcome back to another Wednesday review by Jewel!! This week I chose a cover of John Legend's "All of Me" by Dave Days and Phil J. I have to say, I was expecting something worse (not that this was bad). It's just that I generally don't like it when cover artists try to turn ballads into pop-punk remakes. However, I actually really liked this cover.

Dave Days, or David Joseph Colditz, is originally from Pennsylvania and currently lives in Los Angeles, California. Best known for pop-punk covers and parodies of popular songs, he has over 1.6 million subscribers and 350 million views. Dave began playing in bands as a middle schooler and taught himself to use audio and video equipment as a high schooler. After graduating from high school, Days relocated to Los Angeles, where he incorporated himself as Dave Days, Inc. Miley Cyrus made an appearance in Miley Cyrus - My Last Song for Miley as a result of the fact that a lot of his videos between 2008 & 2010 focused on the Wrecking Ball diva. In 2011, two of his videos ended up in Billboard's uncharted 10 ("Next to You" and "Who Says"). On September 11, 2011, he made an appearance on Disney Channel's So Random, where he performed "What Does it Take". With 1.5 million subscribers, he was the most subscribed to YouTube channel in October of 2011. 

Phil J is a drummer from Canada who has been playing since, in his words, he was a little "munchkin". All of the drums we hear in his videos are created by him and played by him in one take. His friend, Lee Zavitz, mixes and masters his tracks. Unfortunately, that is all I can find on Phil J, but I do enjoy his drumming.

On to the cover!! As I mentioned earlier, I generally don't like pop-punk remakes of ballads because in my opinion, they just ruin the song. I didn't want to click on this video, but I took a chance because it's Dave Days, and I just fell in love with this song even more!! This cover is so much better than the upbeat version radio stations play. Seriously, it's supposed to be a ballad and they're trying to make the song all "club-like". Okay, rant over. Anyway, I simply love Dave's voice, it is definitely one-of-a-kind. If I hadn't heard the original on the radio before I clicked on this cover (and if I wasn't paying attention to the title), I would've thought this was a Dave Days original song. They most definitely owned this song like no one else.

Here is their cover.


And here is the original.



Rating: 5 RECORDS


Information (Dave Days): Wikipedia- Dave Days
Information (Phil J): YouTube- Phil J
Photo (Dave Days): Facebook- Dave Days
Photo (Phil J): Facebook-Phil J


No comments:

Post a Comment