Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

5.28.2014

"Classic" MKTO Cover by Alex G and Jameson Bass

                          Alex G.                                          Jameson Bass


Hello JUKEBOXERS!! It's Jewel with another Wednesday review. This week I'm writing about a collab cover by Alex G and Jameson Bass of MKTO's song "Classic". Before I begin, I just have to say I love love love this song. It sounds so old school, yet new. And I love the lyrics as well, especially how MKTO or Malcolm Kelley and Tony Oller from Nickelodeon's show Gigantic admire a girl who is "classic" because it's really hard to find women (and men) who truly "stay classy" as so many people say nowadays.

Since I've already reviewed an Alex G cover collab of "Team" by Lorde with RUNAGROUND, I'll just refer you over to that post.

Jameson Bass started a project called "Songs with Friends". According to his official Facebook page, he has been playing music for most of his life. As he grew older, he made many talented friends . However, they really didn't have a way of showcasing their talents. So, with some microphones, a camera, and a touch of fun, "Songs with Friends" was launched. All he wants is that people will enjoy the music they make as much as they enjoy making it.

As with most covers, there are things I like and dislike. This song isn't at all overproduced like many others I've reviewed, but I still like how they covered it using guitar, bringing about a raw and uncomplicated sound. For one thing, I always enjoy collabs (especially when the singers are of the opposite gender) because I love how their voices harmonized. I guess it's safe to say that when I find out it's a collab, I prepare myself for some awesome harmonies, and they didn't let me down. Of course, as I've said a few times, I like singers who can't just hit the right notes but can make me jealous of their singing abilities. These two can sing, don't get me wrong, but I'm looking for something that makes them stand out. Another thing I loved is how simple yet fun their cover is, especially their video. The cover definitely stuck with the title, "Classic" because of its beautiful simplicity. "Less is more" most certainly works with this one.

Here is their cover:


And here is the original:


Rating: 4 RECORDS


Photo (Alex G): Facebook - Alex G
Information (MKTO): Wikipedia - MKTO
Information & Photo (Jameson Bass): Facebook - Jameson Bass

No comments:

Post a Comment