Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

6.26.2014

"Chocolate" by The 1975

This picture is really ironic. The 1975: Guitarist Adam Hann, Drummer George Daniel, Vocalist/Guitarist Matt Healy, Bass Guitarit Ross MacDonald
Hey guys, Lia here with a song from The 1975!

**So before I begin, I just want to say that this song is about drug use so if you don't want to continue reading because that topic is sensitive/offensive to you, then that's fine. Stop reading. Continue on your way. That is all.**

I first heard this song on Itunes Radio on the Weekly Top 50 Alternative Music station, which you should all check out, and I honestly didn't know what to make of it. I'm usually on top of new Alternative music so I remember wondering who these guys were and how come I never heard their songs sooner? So I read up a bit on them and of course, they're an English indie rock band. The words 'English rock band' are literally my kryptonite. But anyway, they're from Manchester and have released four EPs and one self-titled album. The band formed in 2004 when a local council worker set up gigs for teenagers in the area to perform. Now they've done international tours and even played at the 2014 Coachella Festival.

There's a short interview that was on NPR of the band discussing their album. I thought it was interesting that they cited '80s teen movies and D'angelo as their biggest influences. Matthew Healy said that they made music focused on the groove and not just their genre of pop indie music. That said, I can totally hear that 80's groove influence in their music. "Chocolate" especially embodies that youthful frenetic energy of teens everywhere. From Matt Healy's lilting (slightly braying) vocals to the electronic (slightly jumpy) guitar licks, everything from this song really puts the message of this song out well. If you want to know what "Chocolate" is about, then just replace the word 'chocolate' with 'weed' in the lyrics. That's all. The manic energy expressed in this song fits that drug-addled attitude. My favorite lyric from "Chocolate" is: 'guns sitting under our petticoats.' It's so telling. The smoking guns sitting under their petticoats a sign of their youthful excursions into smoking weed. In addition to the weed references and guitar licks, there is also an ambient quality reminiscent of M83 just sitting in the background. Also, the entire bridge part is just Healy's version of watered down reggae, not unlike Ezra Koenig's singing in "The Diplomat's Son."

Overall, it's an instant hit, capable of ensnaring your usual teenage angst riddled kids in a sensitive and often rebellious time of their lives. To me, the song's not bad, but it's not too good either. It just doesn't leave that much of an impression on me and is a bit juvenile. Exhibit A: the lyric 'that's what she said' is actually in the song.

If you love the band, then keep listening. But if you're neither here nor there about the song, chances are you'll forget about it until you hear it on the radio like I do.


I admit, it sounds pretty cool live. 


Rating: 2.5 RECORDS

Photo: gigwise.com
Information: Wikipediarock.rapgenius.comnpr.org


No comments:

Post a Comment