Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

7.10.2014

"Ain't It Fun" by Paramore

Paramore: Guitarist Taylor York, Vocalist Hayley Williams, Bassist Jeremy Davis
Hey guys, Lia here with a popular alternative pop song by Paramore.

Paramore began in the garage of brothers Josh and Zac Farro in Franklin, Tennessee back in 2002. Hayley Williams was just 13 when she joined the band, but she had already been offered to sign with Atlantic Records as a solo pop artist. She turned their offer down to go looking for an alternative band to join. That's when she met the Farro brothers and formed Paramore along with Jeremy Davis as bass guitarist. By 2010, Paramore had recorded three albums and played tours internationally, but although the band was established in popularity, the dynamics within were breaking apart.

This is where it gets a bit complicated. Paramore was one of my gateway-to-punk/alternative rock music when I was younger so of course I followed the band's news. After the release of their album, Brand New Eyes, Paramore announced a split, reporting that the Farro brothers would be leaving the band, but that Paramore would still be touring without them. A few days after the official release, Josh Farro took to his blog to write out the brothers' point of view. Personally, I'm more inclined to believe the Farro brothers as they have little to gain from disagreeing with the official statement that they were not told the record company (and Hayley) would be releasing. In the blog post, Josh confessed that Hayley and co. treated them as if they weren't even part of the band, just background musicians to support Hayley.

The band shed all that drama to release their newest album, Paramore, which features "Ain't It Fun" as one of its singles. This song is a guilty pleasure for me. But really, it's much too Top 40 sounding for me not to publicly denounce it. Plus, I totally side with the Farro brothers on all the band drama since only Hayley benefits from saying it was a mutual split. But, as Dave Grohl famously said, "I don't believe in guilty pleasures," so I'm going to be straight with all of you. In the privacy of my room, I like this song. Paramore keeps in line with their usual alternative-by-way-of-pop-punk sound and Hayley's vocals are just as I remember it back when I was 13. "Ain't It Fun" also has a gospel twist after the third bridge and second chorus when she ad libs the "Don't go crying..." part, which I like although Hayley's vocals seem too young to support it. Thematically, the lyrics show the band growing up. Gone are the teenage chronicles about breakups and fairy tales, to be replaced by this story of surviving on your own. This song, although about a very real topic, play it off lightly as it's backed by an uplifting, lilting guitar riff.

A few criticisms: the music video is a bit gimmick-y (you'll see what I mean). Also, I liked the darker, punk side of Paramore more than their pop side and this song definitely errs in being too pop for me. At least with Brand New Eyes the pop was mixed in with the punk, but this song feels like its trying too hard to be liked in some parts. I honestly miss Riot! and All We Know Is Falling. Maybe when the times are right, Paramore will try that sound once again.


Hayley is my female vocalist hero.


Rating: 3 Records
Photo: zachbernard.com
Information: Wikipediarock.rapgenius.com

No comments:

Post a Comment