Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

7.24.2014

"Stolen Dance" by Milky Chance

Milky Chance: DJ Phillip Dausch, and Vocalist/Musician Clemens Rehbein
Hello, Lia here with a new song that's blasting up the charts.

I've been hearing this song on the radio a lot so decided to look into this group called Milky Chance. I must admit I (stupidly) thought they were French and so was surprised to learn they were German! Which of course is obvious if you actually listen to them because that electronic influence could come from nowhere else but Germany. Clemens Rehbein and Phillip Dausch are old hands at the music scene, but this is their first year as the duo Milky Chance. It's also a new type of music for them since previously, they played jazz with a quartet called Flown Tones. I can hear a bit of that jazz influence in "Stolen Dance," mostly in their syncopated beats and experimental sound. They self-produced "Stolen Dance" and their album Sadnecessary, which is a sign that they are serious about being in control of their sound, so, much respect to them.

I read a little interview, which you can find here, where Clemens talked about why the duo wrote in English instead of German. He described German as "precise," while English to him is more "descriptive." I don't know much (anything) about German, but I found it interesting that he would describe it that way. Clemens also talked about how the music in Germany is predominantly electronic, which makes Milky Chance unique in that their sound is more rock and folk based. You don't really hear much of their rock and folk sides in "Stolen Dance," but their other songs only feature the electronic element as a garnish. My theory is: the reason that "Stolen Dance" is becoming more popular than their other (more authentic, in my opinion) songs stems from that electronic element that pleases a broad spectrum of music tastes, ranging from alternative rock/classic rock lovers to pop/rap/hip hop listeners.

Which brings me to "Stolen Dance" and the growing appeal for the song. It's a great little tune that's catchy, but also complicated. The bare bones of this song consists of a soulful acoustic guitar riff, overlaid with two percussion elements and electric guitar picking. Clemens's voice is also notable--a jarring, rough-edged sound that punctuates the beat. I also find his accent endearing and fitting for such an experimental song. In "Stolen Dance," Clemens croons about drugs and addiction as if talking about a lover. He's taking the listener through drug cravings in the first verse and then withdrawal with the second verse. Fittingly, the chorus talks about being high and my favorite line--"Stoned in paradise," which I thought was 'stolen paradise' although both ways work. The words "shouldn't talk about it" gets repeated multiple times, which I interpret as the person feeling guilty for having an addiction, but not enough to stop. When the person finally does stop, all he can think about is pain and "the absence of you," meaning the absence of drugs. The last line of the verse reveals a deeper psychological problem because he does drugs as a crutch for feeling lonely.

This song is written like a romance and so though the topic is mildly depressing, it's refreshing how explicit and honest Milky Chance is about addiction. There's something about the romance that is aesthetically pleasing in both concept and melody. Although I wouldn't rank it high in my own personal list of songs I enjoy, I'm sure this song will make it high in the indie charts because catchy tunes, although not unique, are isolated incidents of songwriting that bring enjoyment for the slot of time they are around.



I'd rather listen to the live version, if I'm honest. 


Rating: 3 RECORDS

No comments:

Post a Comment