Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

7.02.2014

"The Moon Song" Karen O Cover by AJ Rafael and Kina Grannis

     AJ Rafael 
Kina Grannis      
Hello JUKEBOXERS!! It's Jewel with review on another cover collab. This week we've got AJ Rafael and Kina Grannis!!

Since I've already reviewed a cover by Kina, you can read all about her in my post on her collab cover of "Pompeii" by Bastille with Peter Hollens.

Arthur Joseph "AJ" Rafael is from Moreno Valley, California. Growing up around music, he started playing piano when he was four years old, influenced by his father (who unfortunately passed away when he was nine). His first song, "How's San Diego Pauli", was the beginning of his singing career. The next year, 2005, he had his first show and gained respect from local bands in his hometown. By the end of 2005, he produced and recorded his first original album in his garage. As with so many of these artists, AJ used social media, in his case MySpace to showcase songs to fans. In 2006, he founded the movement Music Speaks through the MoVal Concert Chorale. Music Speaks is a benefit show that contributes to Autism Speaks and supports families with Autism. He's been performing nationally and internationally since 2008, including schools and theaters. He's a partner with YouTube and is recognized on Billboard's Top 20 "Uncharted" Chart frequently since early 2011. "Red Roses", his album released in summer 2011 charted in the Top 10 Pop albums and was thirteenth on Billboard's "Heatseeker" Chart. Now, he performs with the "AJ Rafael Band" with Chad Manalo on bass guitar, Andrew Rhim on guitar, Eric Kern on drums, and himself on keyboard. Below is a quote from AJ on his Facebook page:

"I was born to play music. I grew up to live for music. I have learned to breathe music. I already feel successful in a sense that I have touched someone else's heart with my music. I only hope to inspire more people to have music in their lives: that's all it's about. Popularity, money, attention, I mean all of that's nice (not that I get much of it), but that's all temporary... music is FOREVER."
-  AJ Rafael


I had never heard of this song until I saw that AJ Rafael had covered it with Kina Grannis. While the volume of their voices could be a little louder, I do appreciate that they stuck with the original sound. This is just a quick cover they played with their ukeleles. What I liked about this cover is that it's actually LIVE, so I'll let the fact that I wish I could hear their voices clearer slide. The downside is that when you sing live, with one mic, the harmony tends to sound a little off. Although, I do appreciate when artists harmonize live because that just proves some skills. Trust me, it's hard to harmonize live and it's even harder to sing the melody with someone harmonizing with you. Even though I like when artists recreate the songs they cover, I think their voices, especially Kina's suit the original song and the accompanying ukeleles. The sound just compliments the lyrics and the serene mood that comes along with this song.

Here it is:

And here is the video to one of my favorite AJ Rafael originals, "We Could Happen":


Rating: 3 RECORDS



Photo (AJ Rafael): Billboard - AJ Rafael
Photo (Kina Grannis): Facebook - Kina Grannis
Information (AJ Rafael): Facebook - AJ Rafael

No comments:

Post a Comment