Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

8.20.2014

"Electrified" Original Song by Megan Nicole

The ever so youthful Megan Nicole

Hello, JUKEBOXERS!! It's Jewel with original song #5: "Electrified" by Megan Nicole. As you know, all the songs in my Original Song Series are by cover artists I've reviewed before. I've previously reviewed two pieces by Megan Nicole: "Never Wanna Let You Go" (Original) and "La La La"(Originally by Naughty Boy, Collab Cover featuring Jason Chen). Feel free to read those for more information about Megan.

My initial reaction to this song was to get up and dance, which is something one would expect from a song titled, "Electrified". I have to say, this is a song I hope to hear on the radio. In fact, I've heard a Megan Nicole original on Radio Disney. Yes, sometimes I find myself listening to Radio Disney. Anyway, this song reminds me of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Jessie J, and the new Taylor Swift. I can't say I would've mistaken this song for one of theirs because let's face it, they all have very unique voices. Before I continue on with admiration, I'll write about what I didn't like.

At first glance, or really, first listen, I didn't find anything I disliked about this song. Of course, by now, I've listened to it quite a few times, and I couldn't figure out why I found myself already getting sick of it. So, I decided to actually watch the lyric video, and that's when I noticed the chorus is repeated twice. On the bright side, this is the type of song that depends on the melody and mood rather than the lyrics, so it somehow gets a free pass. As for the vocals, it sounds as if Megan Nicole's voice has developed a little more. Either that or a different producer worked on this song with her. Anyway, the only thing I had to say about her vocals was that her enunciation (really the fact that I can't hear the "d" in "electrified" and the endings of some other words) still needs work. However, since this is a pop song, it doesn't really need to be heard, so that's just me being picky.

Alright, now that I've finished writing my dislikes, I'll continue with the compliments. First, this song got me moving and I love songs that have that upbeat, get-up-and-dance feel. This song is so full of energy and I personally love each instrument and the melody. The lyrics capture what it feels like to feel "electrified" by someone you've developed deep feelings for. They speak on how falling and being in love is both confusing, exhilarating, exciting, and terrifying. I find it funny how songs like this make you want to get up and dance and just feel happy when their lyrics contain a different message. I'm in love with how this song is a throwback to the big band/jazz era, and really just the past few decades in general. Of course, this seems to be the trend nowadays, but I find it rather enjoyable. I appreciate how her voice isn't totally masked by so many effects. I mean, I can actually tell it's her voice, and her voice is most definitely one of a kind.

Here's the lyric video she released on YouTube just yesterday:


Since it's a lyric video, I won't be adding the lyrics this week.

Rating: 4.5 RECORDS



No comments:

Post a Comment