Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

10.10.2014

“I Belong” from Sofia the First

Sofia singing about her chance to feel like she fits in which the other princesses
Hi everybody!  It’s Kimberly here for my thirty-fourth post for the genre “Children’s Music.”

Disney princesses are a staple of many little girls’ childhoods.  Ask practically anyone and she can tell you who her favorite princess is.  Some would say Ariel.  Others could say Tiana, Cinderella, or Belle.  Just last year, Disney Junior started a new show that introduced a princess for the new generation.  Today, I will be reviewing the song “I Belong” from Disney’s Sofia the First.

Ariel Winter provides the voice for Sofia.  Some of you may know her as Alex Dunphy on Modern Family.  It makes sense that she would do the voice of a character on Disney because Modern Family is on ABC, one of the many companies that Disney owns.  Her voice sounds young, so it is believable for her to be voicing a little girl even though she’s already sixteen years old.   

Sofia the First is about a little girl who becomes a princess out of circumstance.  She and her mother are from a poor village, but their lives change completely when her mother marries the King of Enchancia.  To learn how to become a proper princess, Sofia attends the Royal Training Academy.  In the episode “The Princess Test” her days of training culminates in a test that will evaluate if the princesses exemplify all the qualities of a true princess.  “I Belong” is about how The Princess Test is Sofia’s chance to finally feel like she belongs in the royal world.  “I Belong” has a nice melody with a pretty guitar accompaniment.  The lyrics help convey Sofia’s sense of self-doubt, but also her strong will to try her best to be a perfect princess.  “I Belong” is an inspirational song for girls to try their best even when it seems like what they’re trying to achieve is impossible.  For instance, one of the lines is “I’ve got to keep on trying and just stay strong.”   However, other lines are specifically catered to Sofia’s situation like, “Am I royal, or just pretending to be?”  I’m giving “I Belong” 3 records because it is a cute song that is appropriate for little girls, but it isn’t particularly a song that they will remember when they’re older.

Thank you for reading my review of “I Belong” from Sofia the First!  Please come back tomorrow for our playlist.  J

Below is the scene that features “I Belong.”


Here is a song from another Sofia the First episode called, “Bigger is Better.”


Rating: 3 RECORDS














Information:  IMDB, Disney Wikia, YouTube
Photo: YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment