Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

3.20.2014

"Magic" by Coldplay


Coldplay (left to right): Guitarist Johnny Buckland, Lead Vocalist Chris Martin, Bassist Guy Berryman, Drummer Will Champion.

Hey guys, Lia here for Alternative Thursdays!

Ah, Coldplay. what can I say about Coldplay? I don't think I have to explain who they are, everyone and their mother knows who Coldplay are, but maybe I'll just list some fun facts. Fun fact number one: Chris Martin and Johnny Buckland started the band when they were attending University College London. Fun fact number two: their first famous song was a little tune called "Yellow" from their Parachutes album. And finally, fun fact number three: Coldplay has won eight Brit Awards, five MTV Music Awards, and seven Grammy Awards. So yes, Coldplay. Everyone's head over heels for Coldplay. Everyone except me. Now before I get hate, I don't dislike Coldplay! I think they're a solid band and I see why everyone loves them. Coldplay songs are really well produced, catchy in an unassuming way, and Chris Martin is a brilliant vocalist. I've just never taken to them as much as I do to other bands. I'm more of a casual Coldplay listener, just their most popular songs, enough to help me get by on a conversation about the band.

But this song, oh man, this song. It's so ambient and smooth and maybe the lyrics are a bit cliche, but the overall song is just so good I'm willing to dismiss it (while trying to hide just how much I love the lyrics because I'm such a girl and I have a lot of emotions, okay?). "Magic" is masterfully produced, with its bare-bones EDM and ambient sound that, oddly enough, reminds me of M83. Chris Martin, who is so good at those high notes, brings a bit of drama to a seemingly simple song. Of course, the melody is true to Coldplay. Something about the ringing guitar with the heavy reverb on it, coupled with that crisp produced beat attracts the inner mindless-just-wanna-have-fun girl in me.

All in all, a great song to listen to when you want to mellow down. I'm kind of excited for their new album, Ghost Stories, coming out in May so watch out for some new Coldplay in future!




Here's a live version. I know it's a slow song, but I can hear people having conversations during it. I don't understand, how can you talk to people when an awesome band is playing just a few feet away. I guess some people don't take concerts as seriously as I do. 



Rating: 3 RECORDS







Photo: Sonic1029.com 
Information: Wikipedia - Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment