Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

3.11.2014

"October" by Broken Bells

Broken Bells members James Mercer and Brian Burton

Hello, JUKEBOXERS! (Is it incredibly odd that "JUKEBOXERS" makes me think "juice boxes". . . ?) It's Lindsey here again with my Tuesday review!

The band Broken Bells is a collaboration group formed between James Mercer and Brian Burton (better known by his stage name of Danger Mouse). Both were already successful musicians when they got together in 2008 to create "melodic, but experimental" music. If Mercer's voice seem familiar to you indie music fans out there, it's because James Mercer is also the creator and lead singer of The Shins (!!), another very popular band of this genre. Some bands that have inspired him include The Smiths, The Beatles, and The Cure. Danger Mouse (a.k.a. Brian Burton) is also an incredibly talented musician and has been a key player in the producing the albums of many major artists. He and CeeLo Green created the duo known as Gnarls Barkley (known for their single "Crazy"), and Burton has also produced albums for the Gorillaz, The Black Keys, Beck, and many more. In a nutshell, both men are incredibly talented musicians and their collaboration as Broken Bells shows it clearly. The sound is something very unique to this group, and the lyrics they write are absolutely fantastic. I highly suggest listening to other songs by them. (Of course, I highly suggest that for every group I write about.) 

This week's choice was also a difficult one because I quite enjoy basically everything produced by Broken Bells. I replay their album (titled "Broken Bells") over and over when I'm driving back home on the weekends. While their most known song is "High Road," I chose "October" because I think the lyrics are quite interesting and the song is rather catchy. The lyrics of this song really make you think about life, and I think my favorite line is, "Remember what they say. There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between." Isn't that deep? (This is where you nod slowly and say "Deeeeeep, maaaaaan" like a philosophical stoner from the 70s.) 

I think the song talks about naivety and being naive in love. There are several version of the lyrics that are that are floating around the internet, but I've chosen the lyrics that most people seem to agree upon. Enjoy!


Lyrics:
So you showed me 'round your town
To hell again and back
I love the certain way you need 
all the friends you depend on

I know it might seem odd
Kid, you're not the only one
I remember myself as a lonely child
So what was it? You've got me wrong
You've got me wrong

Wrong just seems so right
To the spark of morning light
And all those searching eyes
Do they scald your tender mind?

Remember what they say
There's no shortcut to a dream
It's all blood and sweat
And life is what you manage in between

But what you don't know
Is you're too young and eager to love
Seething, I see you're about to get into 
the ditch that your old man dug

Wrong just seems so right
To the spark of morning light
And all those searching eyes
Do they scald your tender mind?

So the stars aligned
And leave you behind
You want it so and I
I come the light of an autumn moon
Sister, you know enough
But for now just let it go
Don't run, don't rush
Just flow

Through the give and take you've had to learn
How to cross the coals and not get burned
But you're really just a little girl
Playin' in the park 'til the sun goes down

So torn and worn and wise
One day and your time is up
No doubt you think you braided your own hair
So you're all grown up

Should you want to cross the line
Which way do you want to find?
Pretend that luck could help you find your way
But you've got me wrong
Yeah, you've got me wrong


Rating: 4.5 RECORDS



No comments:

Post a Comment