Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

3.12.2014

"Say Something" A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera Cover by Pentatonix

Pentatonix group photo

Hello all!! It is I, Jewel, with your weekly Wednesday review on covers!! This week I chose to review a cover by Pentatonix. I doubt this amazing a cappella group needs any introduction, but I'll go ahead and share with you some information about them.

Pentatonix, as the name would suggest is a group of five. Scott Hoying, Kirstie Maldonado, Mitch Grassi, Avi Kaplan, and Kevin Olusola are the talent behind the amazing sound. As a group, they were the winners of NBC's The Sing-Off, season three. Here's an interesting fact: "24-hours before their audition for The Sing-Off they still hadn’t all officially met." Scott, Kirstie, and Mitch were a high school vocal trio. Scott wanted to audition and they decided they needed more depth and dynamic to the group. So, they searched, and added Avi, "one of the most talented vocal basses in Southern California" and Kevin, famous for his "cello-boxing" (playing cello and beat-boxing at the same time). After winning The Sing-Off, they moved to Los Angeles, California where they produced two EP's. They have also toured North America Twice.

This cover of "Say Something" by a Great Big World and Christina Aguilera is, in one word, flabbergasting. First of all, they do it almost entirely a cappella (there's a little bit of cello) and secondly, they make the song their own. What I love most about this cover is that they made me listen to the whole song! I don't even like the original all that much, and I've really only heard the whole song maybe three times at the most, but I could listen to this cover over and over again. The way they rearranged and recreated the song makes it sound so much better. They've mastered the art of blending their voices together to make one cohesive sound.

I'm giving this cover five records because 1) I really don't like the original and they got me to listen to the whole song and 2) they did an amazing job in recreating this song. I'll also put another one of their covers (a collab with Lindsey Stirling) that I like better than the original: "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons.

Here's Pentatonix' cover of "Say Something" by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera



And here's their collab with Lindsey Stirling of "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons.


Rating: 5 RECORDS



Photo: Notre Dame Go Irish Blog
Information: PTX- offical website

1 comment:

  1. I love love love Pentatonix! I'm so glad you reviewed them for this cover, it is indeed fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete