Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

4.02.2014

"Wrecking Ball" Miley Cyrus Cover by Boyce Avenue and Diamond White

Boyce Avenue (left) the brothers: Fabian, Alejandro, and Daniel Manzano
Diamond White (right)

Welcome back to my weekly post!! Today I'm reviewing a collab cover by Boyce Avenue and Diamond White. I absolutely love Boyce Avenue. I adore how they can turn, here's that word again, "over-produced" music into a much simpler form, making the song their own. I know I say that a lot, but I really appreciate the work these cover artists do because it takes a lot to be able to recreate a song. As for Diamond White, I didn't know about her until I came across this cover, but I like her voice.

Diamond White is a YouTube cover artist (obviously, Jewel, move on!!) who according, to IMDb, was in Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension, Transformers: Rescue Bots, and The X Factor. She was a season 2 contestant on The X Factor who was eliminated on the Top 6 results show after singing against Fifth Harmony. Other than that, I can't really find much on her. She doesn't have any bios on Twitter, Facebook, or YouTube, and I now feel like a stalker or a CIA agent (take your pick).

Boyce Avenue on the other hand has their own website with a biography, making my job a little easier. The Manzano brothers started their band in 2004 after they reconnected following their pursuit of higher education. Lead singer, guitarist, and pianist, Alejandro and guitarist and vocalist, Fabian were taking classes at the University of Florida when their older brother, Daniel (bass player, percussionist, and vocalist) returned to Florida after graduating from Harvard Law School. Together, they wrote music and performed locally, and in 2007, they decided to join the YouTube family. Now they have more than 300 million views and 700,000 subscribers. The band took a risk in January 2009 to book a stand-alone show in New York City, and it paid off; their show was a sell-out. Since then, the brothers have performed all over the world and now have their own record label: 3 Peace Records.

This cover of Miley Cyrus' song, "Wrecking Ball" is probably the only full version of the song I've ever heard. When I saw Boyce Avenue did a cover, I decided to take a chance and click on it. And I loved it. I particularly loved the harmonization, especially in the bridge of the song. To me, that was the most beautiful element of their cover (aside from the whole "making the song their own" and "turning 'over-produced' music into a much simpler form"). However, I was actually expecting Diamond White to go all out because of the emotion the lyrics of this song portray- but she didn't. I guess it's okay that she didn't because the style of the recreated song is calmer and quieter. Oh! And I also like how I can understand every word, because in the bits and pieces of the song that I've heard, there were times when I didn't know what she was singing.

Since the only thing I disagreed with was the fact that Diamond White didn't belt it out, I'd say this song deserves four and a half records.

Here ya go!!


And here is one of my favorite covers by Boyce Avenue: "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars



Rating: 4.5 RECORDS


Information (Boyce Avenue): BA-Official Website
Information (Diamond White): IMDb, DW-Website
Photo (Boyce Avenue): Facebook-Boyce Avenue
Photo (Diamond White): Facebook-Diamond White

No comments:

Post a Comment