Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

6.04.2014

"Not a Bad Thing" Justin Timberlake A Capella cover by Mike Tompkins

The one and only Mike Tompkins

Hey there, JUKEBOXERS!! It's Jewel with review of an A Capella cover by the one and only Mike Tompkins!! I've just got to say he is amazing, I mean he was even featured in Pitch Perfect, singing "Starships" by Nicki Minaj with the cast and quite a few extras (I'll put that down below).

Mike Tompkins is from London, Ontario in Canada. He performed in a few professional musical theater productions while in high school. When he graduated, he was awarded the vocal music award. He continued his education at the Ontario Institute of Audio Recording Technology and graduated in 2008 with honors and two awards. Over the past decade, he has produced, engineered, and mixed a variety of albums. In 2010, he decided, against his initial premonitions, to release his own music, with his own unique take on a Capella. In less than a month, his cover of "Teenage Dream/Just the Way You Are" by Katy Perry and Bruno Mars, respectfully, gained over two million views. According to his Facebook, his "main goal is to put a smile on peoples faces and show his diversity as an artist".

This cover is simply as good as it gets. I mean, it sounds just like the original. Of course, I've only listened to JT's version at most five times, but the first time I heard MT's (haha see what I did there??) it was just like listening to the original. He has definitely come a long way from where he was when I first heard of him (shout out to my bestie, Rachel, who told me to go watch his videos!!). Okay, it may not sound exactly like the original, but that's as close as humanly possible, A CAPELLA. Mike Tompkins records every layer of the track and the vocals using only his voice (and body - clapping). Plus, I just love how his face gets when he does the different parts of the track (especially percussion). Anyway, that's really all I have to say because I love everything about this cover. There really is nothing negative I have to say about it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, er do.

Here is his cover of "Not a Bad Thing" by Justin Timberlake:


And here is Mike, the cast of Pitch Perfect, and you:


Rating: 4.5 RECORDS


Information & Photo: Facebook - Mike Tompkins

No comments:

Post a Comment