Welcome to JUKEBOX music reviews!

8.06.2014

"Must Be Love" Original Song by Christina Grimmie

The talented Christina Grimmie

Hey guys!! It's Jewel with another Original song by Christina Grimmie. If you follow her on any of the many social media networks, you'll know her new single, "Must Be Love" just came out last week, on July 31. So I thought "why not?" since I'm blogging about original songs and I've already written about Christina Grimmie.

I've actually written about Christina Grimmie twice before, once about her "Demons" cover, and again on her original song, "Feelin' Good". Feel free to read those posts. If you want to know more about Christina Grimmie, read my review on her cover of "Demons".

Okay, I just have a couple things to say about her original song, and I'll let you get to listening!!

First, I was hoping for something less mainstream because she's Christina Grimmie, but I understand she now has a record deal and must sing this song for the label. I didn't appreciate all the effects on her voice because she has such a beautiful voice and they just masked her voice so much I couldn't even hear her anymore. However, I must say, the effects actually suit the song. Although it's not what Team Grimmie has grown accustomed to hearing from Christina, after the initial shock of how different this song is compared to her other originals, I actually found myself wanting to get up and dance. Of course, I'm on campus in an Honors Center (summer school) right now, so I must party in my seat with my earphones.

Second, the lyrics aren't up to par with my expectations, but that's just because this song wasn't meant to be a deep, meaningful song. This song is fun and repetitive, and as the title suggests, it's about love. Unfortunately, I can't give the lyrics a 5 simply because I'm one of those people who actually appreciate and search for songs with lyrics that have deeper meaning. I'm not worried though because I know she'll have some songs that sound more like her if/when she comes out with a new album.

You're probably wondering why the only comments I've made on her vocals are the fact that it's been masked by effects. It's because I think she's already proven herself to be a superior vocalist. I mean, she did almost win The Voice. If you need proof, just watch and listen to her live acoustic performance of "Must Be Love" (I'll put that video in after her lyric video). The recording may not be studio quality, but I must say, I thought this song would be impossible to perform live. I was wrong.

Here's the lyric video:


And here's the acoustic performance she posted before "Must Be Love" was released on iTunes:


Lyrics:

I was sitting at the mall with my friends on a Monday

Saying I was gonna leave this town
Leave this town, run away
But then you walked in and I think my heart done skipped a beat
One look and everything just froze

Like a rock rolling down a hill

Like a car with no one at the wheel
Take me to a doctor cause I'm shaking
I need water tell me do they have a pill
I'm feeling ill

It must be love, it must be love

It must be love, it must be love
It must be love
It's in my heart, it's in my body
It must be love

I'm working all day and night, staying busy, minding my business

Ain't looking for trouble, got no man as upon my wish-list
But now you're in my head
Get outta there get here instead
One smile and everything just froze

Like a rock rolling down a hill

Like a car with no one at the wheel
Take me to a doctor cause I'm shaking
I need water tell me do they have a pill
I'm feeling ill

It must be love, it must be love

It must be love, it must be love
It must be love, it must be love
It's in my heart, it's in my body
It must be love

Starts up in my chest

Kicks out of my bones
Not ready for this
Was fine on my own
Flashes in my head and there must be something wrong
I don't know what you did
But I can't leave you alone

It must be love, it must be love
It must be love, it must be love

It must be love
It must be love, it must be love
It must be love
It's in my heart, it's in my body
It must be love


Rating: 3.5 RECORDS



No comments:

Post a Comment